Yate server > Yate server for Google Voice

Beginner in need of help!

<< < (2/4) > >>

CauselessEffect:
I don't know how to check if Yate has connected to my Google Voice account.  As for my routing rules, the only changes I have made to my config files are exactly what I was told to do in the GV guide on this site (http://docs.yate.ro/wiki/Connecting_To_Google_Voice).

The log file below is what is generated after starting my server then attempting to make a call to an 800 number with the Yate client.  There are several "fail" codes, but Google searches have not turned up any answers for me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14809899/log.txt

marian:
Seems the jabberclient module is not loaded.

I suppose you set it to be loaded in yate.conf.
The yate main configuration file has the same name as the executable file.
Looking at http://docs.yate.ro/wiki/Connecting_To_Google_Voice found that yate conf file is indicated for Linux/Mac.
On Windows the executable file is yate-console.exe so you must use yate-console.conf instead of yate.conf

Some other hints for debugging:
- Start yate with timestamps (-Dt command line options): this will put the timestamp (from yate start) in front of debug messages
- put a msgsniff=yes in [general] section of yate-console.conf file: this will display the internal messages in the log (very usefull)

CauselessEffect:
Awesome!  After renaming "yate.conf" to "yate-console.conf", I can now make calls from Yate client AND my Android device via CSipSimple!  This is a huge step forward but, unfortunately, some things still aren't working.

1)  I can't receive incoming calls on either client
2)  50% of my outgoing calls on Android are silent
3)  15 seconds into every call on Android, the call suddenly ends (does not happen on Yate client)
4)  I cannot connect to my server using a Yate client on another computer/network (probably a port issue)
5)  Starting Yate via "net start yate" does not appear to be working, regardless of whether the file is called "yate.conf" or "yate-console.conf".  I can only make outgoing calls work only when Yate is started via "yate-console.exe" (not a major problem but something I'll eventually want resolved)

I don't expect you to be an expert on the particular Android app I'm using, but are there any general tips you can think of for resolving dropped calls?  Also, since Yate client on another machine is not able to even sign in to my SIP account (hangs forever with the message "Connecting..."), do I need to open more ports?  So far, I have 5060, 5061, and 5222.  I found those ports listed in one of my config files, but I have yet to find any pages on Yate's website which specify the ports each service requires.  Do you know of any other ports required for Yate/GV?

Finally, I've been coming across a lot of posts online with people talking about NAT issues with SIP.  Does Yate handle this automatically or is there additional configuration that needs to take place for my router/Yate?

Sorry, I know I just asked about 20 questions!  Thank you very much for your help so far!

CauselessEffect:
For the sake of community knowledge, I would hate to kill this thread before we document how to resolve these problems, but I'm starting to rethink operating my own SIP server.  Since my last post, I left Yate server running with file logging enabled.  Now, less than 5 hours later, my log file is 2GB in size showing countless entries of "friendly-scanner".  A quick Google search suggests there are a number of bots out there looking to take advantage of loosely configured SIP servers.  I am amazed my server was discovered so quickly.

I am very thankful that you had suggested I enable file logging, otherwise I might not have noticed this or given much thought to Yate security.  Since this has been brought to my attention, I'm now a bit hesitant to proceed with this project until I can be confident Yate is not creating a major exploit on my server.  If you (or anyone on here) has experience securing Yate (perhaps for a production environment), could you please enlighten me on the matter?  Perhaps there are some common precautions Yate users should be aware of beyond the default configuration?

CauselessEffect:
I think the best solution will be to start a new thread in a different section regarding security.  However, it's sad to see so many unanswered posts on this forum, some date back to almost a year ago without any replies.  Regardless, I'll try my luck.

Thanks again for your help thus far, marian.  For now, as long as you're still willing to help, I'd still like to get some of the issues I posted earlier resolved.  That goes for anyone else who might be reading this too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version