Author Topic: Rebuilding a GSM catchall system, some config and building help needed...  (Read 3798 times)

zeedoktor

• View Profile
Hi all,

I work in a radio clean environment where visitors need to be reminded to switch their mobile phones off. For that I've built what I call a "GSM catch all system" in the past: Visitors entered the first lock of the shielded room, where they have no mobile reception at all except for the GSM catchall system. Their handsets then connected to it and OpenBTS sent a text message to any new registration asking them to please switch into flight mode. That worked extremely well and was very efficient. Then that system died some months ago... and now I can't figure out for the life in me how to get the ancient and unsupported packages and repos installed again!

The main catch is that this needs to run on an Ettus B200.

Considering there is no support over at OpenBTS at all, does anyone here have any recommendations on how this can be achieved using yateBTS?

What I've got so far: The last version to support UHD devices appears to be Yate 5.5 / YateBTS 5.0. Downloaded the source onto Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and started building. Yate 5.5 built and installed fine, but YateBTS won't compile, there's a problem with UHD include files that are not found (and that also are not present in the Ettus UHD source tree):

UHDDevice.cpp:29:29: fatal error: uhd/utils/msg.hpp: No such file or directory

I'd be most grateful for any hints!

zeedoktor

• View Profile
Ok, got that first problem solved: Apparently the 3.11 release of UHD doesn't have that file any longer... downgrading to UHD 3.10.3.0 Release fixed that, YateBTS built and installed now.

Next question: How do you configure YateBTS to send a text message with a custom text to any UE connecting?

zeedoktor

• View Profile
Soooo.... system is installed and should be working, according to the logs anyway. But none of my iPhones (an iPhone 5, and an iPhone X) can see the network. Also, on the B200, only the TX/RX LED is on, the RX2 LED is never on (I seem to recall that used to be on with OpenBTS). Also, this is in a VMWare VM... Has anyone got this running on VMWare?