Author Topic: Yate -s stops at initialization  (Read 82 times)

goodboytower

• View Profile
Yate -s stops at initialization
« on: October 30, 2018, 08:11:21 PM »
Hello! I just got a BladeRF for a class project for use with my Raspberry Pi. I want to ethically broadcast as a BTS to make a call from my phone to my partner's phone (and nobody else, nor use it as an IMSI catcher). I'm in America and going to use Band 8 900MHZ so I don't trip over actual American phone frequencies. But I keep getting stuck on one problem that I can't get past while following the EvilSocket guide.

When I run yate -s as root, it hangs up on the "Yate engine is initialized and starting up on raspberrypi". It doesn't freeze or crash, it just stops until I Ctrl+C out of it. I'm assuming RTNETLINK has something to do with it since that's what comes next on all the documentation I've read. Any ideas on what's going wrong with it?

My BladeRF-cli version =1.6.1, libbladeRF=2.0.2, FW=1.6.1, and FPGA=0.1.2 and I'm using the evilbts.

Can anybody give some suggestions on even the simplest/dumbest things I might have missed? What files have to be in a specific place? Simple diagnostic things I should make sure of? The only thing I've deviated from in the EvilSocket guide is running everything as root instead of making a group with permissions for running.

Ioana Stanciu

• View Profile
Re: Yate -s stops at initialization
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 02:30:50 AM »
What command do you use for starting up YATE?
If you used "yate -s", that is normal output as you didn't pass any arguments about logging/debugging level. You just specified that you want to start YATE in supervisor mode.

Check out 'yate --help' for other arguments that can be passed at startup.  You can also check https://wiki.yatebts.com/index.php/Running#Run_YateBTS
If you still have issues, please post configuration files and a log.

goodboytower

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »
When you say config files and a log, do you mean the ybts.conf and a verbose output of running yate?

Ioana Stanciu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:31:27 AM »
Yes. Or check out the '-l' option of yate.

goodboytower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 07:19:22 PM »
Here is my ybts.conf, in /usr/local/etc/yate.

« Last Edit: Today at 04:22:49 PM by goodboytower »

goodboytower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »
And here is the output after running yate -s as root in /usr/local/etc/yate after running bladeRF-cli -i in another PuTTY session.

« Last Edit: Today at 04:24:08 PM by goodboytower »

goodboytower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »
All I'd like to be able to do is make a call from one handset to another (both owned by me with sysmo USIMs configured by nibweb). Any tips or pointers? Even the simplest things I could be missing, like having yate point to the wrong location of files or something silly like that.

After running yate --version I'm seeing Yate 5.5.1 devel1 r. Here is my BladeRF info:   
bladeRF-cli version:        1.6.1-git-c9a2230c
libbladeRF version:         2.0.2-git-c9a2230c
Firmware version:           1.6.1-git-053fb13-buildomatic
FPGA version:               0.1.2

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:35:23 PM by goodboytower »

Ioana Stanciu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:27:38 AM »
It looks to me that you just started YATE and you didn't install and/or configured the YateBTS plugins.
Keep in mind that YateBTS are plugins that come on top of YATE.

Please check out: https://wiki.yatebts.com/index.php/Main_Page Prerequisites, Installing and running pages especially.
If you did all this, please post the out of './configure' for YATE and YateBTS and other steps you have done (installed where, configuration files are found where). As I see no modules related to YateBTS that are being loaded when starting Yate, I suspect that you either don't have the modules installed/compiled or not configured to be loaded.

Also, there is an option to attach files to forum posts. Please don't copy-paste large pieces of text such as logs into posts.

goodboytower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:28:20 PM »
Sorry about the large chunk of text, I've edited my posts to have a txt file instead.

What is the correct placement of all the conf files? I've seen different sources saying different locations, either usr/local or etc/share and I'm not well versed enough on Linux to know the correct placement. I was suspicious that the conf files weren't being pulled from the right location. I followed the EvilSocket guide and installed and configured both Yate and YateBTS in usr/local by running ./configure --prefix=/usr/local. What conf files exist that need to point to the correct places?